Dr. Chernish, MD has helped hundreds of patients achieve a successful pregnancy!
Your treatment begins with a full assessment of your health including a comprehensive review of your past medical records. Dr. Chernish may order tests, blood work and refer you to specialists if needed.
In addition to acupuncture treatments, Dr. Chernish typically makes dietary and exercise recommendations and may suggest supplements to increase fertility. Your individualized treatment program will include:
- Exercise prescription
- Specific dietary advice
- Prescription medication if required
- Review of supplements
- Education on intercourse timing to maximise fertility
- Stress management techniques
- Other strategies to develop a healthy pregnancy and baby
The goal of treatment is to:
- Diagnose and treat medical conditions that may interfere with fertility;
- Establish a favourable physiological and hormonal environment for pregnancy;
- Optimize diet and exercise to favour pregnancy.
Dr. Chernish has extensive experience with the following conditions:
- Unexplained Infertility is a common diagnosis. It does not mean that there is no treatment. Rather, "unexplained infertility" means there is no structural or serious hormonal or serious male factor issue present. While Western Medicine tends to group all cases of "unexplained infertility" into one category and treat them all the same, Dr. Chernish's approach is influenced by his Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupuncture training in China.
- Low AMH and High FSH Levels
- Advanced Maternal Age
- Tubal Factor Infertility and Endometriosis
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Recurrent Miscarriage
- Irregular Cycles and Infertility after Miscarriage
- Acupuncture to Improve IVF Success
If there is a component of male factor infertility, Dr. Chernish will assess your male partner if required. Male fertility can be affected by a variety of factors including lifestyle choices including but not limited to caffeine, alcohol and diet. In cases of low motility, poor sperm morphology and low sperm counts, Dr. Chernish will develop an individual plan to compliment acupuncture treatments for optimum health.
Conditions of Pregnancy
Acupuncture can be a great way to address common pregnancy ailments in a safe and drug-free way. Dr. Chernish works as a member of your medical team to help manage your care throughout your pregnancy. Here are common conditions of pregnancy that respond well to acupuncture treatments.
Fatigue is one of the most common reasons patients see Dr. Chernish during the first trimester of pregnancy. Dr. Chernish uses acupuncture for treatment of fatigue, nausea, breast tenderness and other troubling symptoms.
Second Trimester - Common Conditions Treated with Acupuncture
- back pain
- pubic pain
- pelvic pain
- sciatic pain
- carpal tunnel syndrome
Third Trimester and Birth
Dr. Chernish uses acupuncture and moxibustion when the baby is in breech presentation to encourage movement to a vertex position.
To encourage labour, Dr. Chernish may use acupuncture once or twice per week between weeks 36 to 40.
Bell's Palsy is a complete one-sided facial paralysis that occurs following viral infections and is common during pregnancy. Dr. Chernish has successfully treated many patients with this condition using acupuncture.
In the postnatal period Dr. Chernish may recommend acupuncture to:
- reduce pelvic pain
- promote lactation
- and treat other conditions
Menstruation cramps and pain (dysmenorrhea) can be debilitating for many women. The goal of acupuncture treatment is to prevent menstrual pain, clotting and spotting. Dr. Chernish has found acupuncture to be very effective in reducing the intensity of menstrual cramps as well as the duration of time the cramps and pain are experienced.
Menopause and Peri-Menopause
Dr. Chernish favours a non-drug approach including acupuncture to treat symptoms of menopause and peri-menopause. There are several symptoms of menopause that acupuncture can help with including hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety, fatigue and insomnia.