Your first appointment with Dr. Chernish includes a medical assessment and initial acupuncture assessment and treatment. Dr. Chernish will develop a treatment plan to maximise fertility based on your assessment and medical history and his clinical findings. If required, he will order any medical tests and may refer you to other medical specialists.
Your individualised program includes:
- Exercise prescription
- Specific dietary advice
- Prescription medication if required
- Review of supplements if required
- Education on timing intercourse to maximise fertility
- Stress management techniques
- Other strategies to develop a healthy pregnancy and baby
The goal of treatment is to:
- Diagnose & treat general medical conditions that may interfere with fertility
- Establish a favourable physiological & hormonal milieu for pregnancy
- Optimise diet & exercise to favour pregnancy
If there is a component of male factor infertility, Dr. Chernish will assess your male partner if required.
Dr. Chernish has a wealth of experience with the following conditions:
- Unexplained Infertility: "Unexplained" infertility is a common diagnosis. It does not mean that there is no treatment. Rather, it means that there is no structural or serious hormonal or serious male factor issue. Western medicine tends to group all cases of unexplained infertility into one category and treat them all the same. Dr. Chernish's approach is influenced by his acupuncture training in China.
- Low AMH & High FSH Levels
- Advanced Maternal Age
- Tubal Factor Infertility and Endometriosis
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS): Dr. Chernish will focus on diet, exercise prescription, and acupuncture. The secondary goal of treatment is to reduce the chance of miscarriage once pregnancy is achieved, since miscarriage rates are higher in PCOS. If required, he may also prescribe medications.
- Recurrent Miscarriage
- Irregular Cycles and Infertility after Miscarriage
- Acupuncture to Improve IVF Success
Male fertility can be affected by a variety of factors including many lifestyle factors.
In cases of low motility, poor sperm morphology and low counts, Dr. Chernish will develop an individual plan.
Conditions of Pregnancy
Dr. Chernish has delivered hundreds of babies and has helped many couples achieve pregnancy using acupuncture. Dr. Chernish will work as a full member of your medical team to achieve pregnancy and manage your care throughout your pregnancy.
Dr. Chernish uses acupuncture for treatment of nausea, fatigue and other troubling symptoms.
In the second trimester, Dr. Chernish uses acupuncture to treat the following conditions:
- back pain
- pubic pain
- pelvic pain
- sciatic pain
- carpal tunnel syndrome
Third Trimester & Birth
Dr. Chernish uses acupuncture and moxibustion when the baby is in breech presentation to encourage movement to a vertex position.
To induce labour, Dr. Chernish uses acupuncture once or twice per week between weeks 36 to 40.
Bell's Palsy is a complete one-sided facial paralysis that occurs following viral infections, and is common during pregnancy. Prednisone and antiviral medications are usually prescribed, but residual paralysis may still occur. Prednisone use is associated with fluid retention, hypertension and elevated blood sugar.
Dr. Chernish treats Bell's Palsy with acupuncture in addition to usual medical care.
In the postnatal period, Dr. Chernish may recommend acupuncture to:
- reduce pelvic pain
- promote lactation
- and treat other conditions
The goal of acupuncture treatment is to prevent menstrual pain, clotting and spotting. Dr. Chernish finds that acupuncture is very effective.
Dr. Chernish favours a non-drug approach including acupuncture to treat symptoms of menopause and perimenopause. Although many women are troubled by hot flushes during perimenopause and menopause, other symptoms may also include:
- Anxiety and palpitations
- Chronic pain
- Bladder symptoms
- Persistent cramping or bleeding