"When treating patients for infertility, I use acupuncture in a medical context as an adjunct to their regular family doctor or specialist care. I usually make recommendations about diet and exercise, and may suggest supplements."
Your individualised program includes:
- Exercise prescription
- Specific dietary advice
- Prescription medication if required
- Review of supplements if required
- Education on timing intercourse to maximise fertility
- Stress management techniques
- Other strategies to develop a healthy pregnancy and baby
The goal of treatment is to:
- Diagnose & treat general medical conditions that may interfere with fertility
- Establish a favourable physiological & hormonal milieu for pregnancy
- Optimise diet & exercise to favour pregnancy
Dr. Chernish has a wealth of experience with the following conditions:
- Unexplained Infertility: "Unexplained" infertility is a common diagnosis. It does not mean that there is no treatment. Rather, it means that there is no structural or serious hormonal or serious male factor issue. Western medicine tends to group all cases of unexplained infertility into one category and treat them all the same. Dr. Chernish's approach is influenced by his acupuncture training in China.
- Low AMH & High FSH Levels
- Advanced Maternal Age
- Tubal Factor Infertility and Endometriosis
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Recurrent Miscarriage
- Irregular Cycles and Infertility after Miscarriage
- Acupuncture to Improve IVF Success
If there is a component of male factor infertility, Dr. Chernish will assess your male partner if required.
Male fertility can be affected by a variety of factors including many lifestyle factors.
In cases of low motility, poor sperm morphology and low counts, Dr. Chernish will develop an individual plan.
Conditions of Pregnancy
Dr. Chernish has delivered hundreds of babies and has helped many couples achieve pregnancy using acupuncture. Dr. Chernish will work as a full member of your medical team to achieve pregnancy and manage your care throughout your pregnancy.
Dr. Chernish uses acupuncture for treatment of nausea, fatigue and other troubling symptoms.
Dr. Chernish uses acupuncture to treat the following conditions in the second trimester:
- back pain
- pubic pain
- pelvic pain
- sciatic pain
- carpal tunnel syndrome
Third Trimester & Birth
Dr. Chernish uses acupuncture and moxibustion when the baby is in breech presentation to encourage movement to a vertex position.
To encourage labour, Dr. Chernish may use acupuncture once or twice per week between weeks 36 to 40.
Bell's Palsy is a complete one-sided facial paralysis that occurs following viral infections, and is common during pregnancy. Dr. Chernish has treated many patients with this condition using acupuncture.
In the postnatal period, Dr. Chernish may recommend acupuncture to:
- reduce pelvic pain
- promote lactation
- and treat other conditions
The goal of acupuncture treatment is to prevent menstrual pain, clotting and spotting. Dr. Chernish finds that acupuncture is very effective.
Dr. Chernish favours a non-drug approach including acupuncture to treat symptoms of menopause and perimenopause, always within a medical context.